National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia - Serbia
Universities attended and academic titles earned
• Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Bachelor of Laws, summa cum laude, 1987 • University Paris I, Panthèon-Sorbonne, auditeur libre, academic year 1990-1991 • Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Master of Legal Sciences, 1998 • University of Connecticut, USA, School of Law, LL.M, Master of Laws, summa cum laude, 2011 • Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, doctoral studies (doctoral thesis, approved topic “Originalism, American contribution to the theory of constitutional interpretation”), 2013
Academic awards and scholarships
• Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, undergraduate studies (1983-1987): awards for results achieved during the academic year • Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, postgraduate studies, major is International Law and Constitutional Law and Political Science: Belgrade University scholarship for young scientific researchers (1987-1990) • Institute of Federalism, University of Fribourg, Switzerland: EUROregions, European Summer University, Council of Europe scholarship (28 August – 17 September 1988) • University Paris I, Panthèon-Sorbonne, Master studies: French government scholarship 1990-1991 • Salzburg Seminar: Session 307 – American Law and Legal Institutions: Seminar scholarship (25 July – 6 August 1993) • University of Salzburg, Austria: Department of International and Foreign Public Law, democratic and human rights protection research scholarship (May - June 1994) • University of Connecticut, USA, School of Law, Master studies, LL.M: Ron Brown scholarship (1997-1998) • Central European University, Budapest, Summer program: University scholarship (July - August 1999) • University of Illinois at Chicago, Belgrade- Chicago interuniversity summer cooperation program (July 2000) • US Supreme Court, Historical Society, Seminar on Federalism: scholarship of the US Supreme Court Historical Society, Washington DC (June 2002) • European Commission one-month scholarship, Erasmus Mundus university cooperation and mobility programme, project Basileus (Balkans Academic Scheme for the Internationalisation of Learning in cooperation with EU universities), University ‘La Sapienza’, Rome, Italy (October 2009) • Promoting Tolerance 2014 Program - Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) and American Jewish Committee (AJC): seminar in Sofia, Bulgaria (June 2014) and study visit to the USA (October 2014)
• speaks English and French • working knowledge of Italian, Russian and Hungarian
• teaching and research experience • consulting and managerial experience (OSCE, Council of Europe, European Commission, World Bank, etc.) • trained in mediation and nonviolent communication • computer training
• Assistant-intern and later assistant for subject Constitutional Law, Public Law Department, Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, 1989-2009 (curriculum covered theory, history, comparative and positive constitutional law, as well as court practice); • Assistant for subject Political System, Public Law Department, Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, 2009-2014, as well as postgraduate courses in English - Introduction to European Union Law, i.e. Court Protection in European Union Law; current research agenda - EU institutional design; • IREX (International Research and Exchange Board), Washington DC, USA, external associate for former Yugoslavia, 1999-2003 (work on a project of academic cooperation and exchange of students and scientific staff within different programs, such as Ron Brown program, Fulbright program, etc.) • CECL (Centre for European Constitutional Law), Athens, Greece, “Rigas Network” project, associate for Serbia and Montenegro (FR Yugoslavia), 2000-2004 (preparation of seminars, drafting of project documents, database updating on relevant changes in national legislation, etc.); • OSCE/ODIHR Observation Mission, Parliamentary Elections 2000 (22 November – 30 December 2000), Mission’s deputy legal advisor; • OSCE, Mission to Serbia and Montenegro, Media Department, legal consultant, March 2001 - November 2005 (work on media legislation reform, especially the Law on Broadcasting, Law on Public Information, Law on Free Access to Information of Public Importance, as well as establishment of republic independent bodies in these areas, promotion of new laws and bodies, organisation of round tables, trainings and seminars on freedom of the media and the public service, in cooperation with the non-governmental sector and media associations); • Expert-assistant/redactor, Open Society Foundation Serbia project “Monitoring of the process of bringing Serbia closer to the European Union – state institutions’ capacities to fulfil assumed obligations” (2006); • Expert-assistant, Legislative Reform Project, Ministry of Human and Minority Rights, Serbia and Montenegro, in cooperation with the European Centre for Minority Issues and the Danish Institute for Human Rights (2006); • World Bank expert-assistant on the judiciary reform project (February 2008 – January 2011), responsible for formulation and implementation of the Serbian judiciary system support program, including comments on the legislation, by-laws and other reform documents, handling of the project budget, coordination with the Ministry of Justice, academic community, non-governmental sector and foreign partners); • University of Connecticut, School of Law, guest lecturer in the master program on American law and legal institutions, and Assistant Director of International Programs responsible for the administration of master and other programs, as well as establishment of doctoral studies (January 2011 – January 2012).
• Legal Advisor to the Vice-President of the Constitutional Commission of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia (2003); • Member of the expert group of the President of the Republic of Serbia for the drafting of the model of the Serbian Constitution (2004-2005); • Candidate for judge of the Constitutional Court of Serbia at the proposal of the President of the Republic (June 2005); • Member of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia in the 31 May 2012 – 16 June 2014 legislature, and in said term of office member of the parliamentary delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (member of the Legal Committee and its Subcommittee on Human Rights, and the Social Committee), as well as Vice-President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean; • Candidate of the Government of the Republic of Serbia for Secretary General of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (May – October 2015); • Member of several occupational associations: Association for Constitutional Law of Serbia, Fulbright Alumni Association of Serbia, Serbian Ron Brown Association and Association of French Bachelors (ADEF - Association des Diplômés de l'Enseignement Superiéur Français).
• FAQs on the Republic of Serbia Law on Broadcasting, pub. OSCE Mission to Serbia and Montenegro, in Serbian and English, 142 pp,. Belgrade, 2003 • 45 Years of the Constitutional Council of the French Fifth Republic in Constitution as Lex Superior, commemorating the 75 years of life and 50 years of scientific work of Pavle Nikolic, pub. Association for Constitutional Law of Serbia, Belgrade, 2004 • Guide through the Law on Free Access to Information of Public Importance (co-author), pub. Open Society Foundation Serbia, in Serbian and English, 94 pp., Belgrade, 2005 • Law of Nationality and the Dissolution of Yugoslavia (delivered in English at the gathering ”Citizenship or Nationality? Dual Citizenship as A Legal Problem” of the Institute for Legal Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 3 October 2005, Budapest), contribution to project “Development of the Serbian legal system and harmonisation with the EU acquis” of the Faculty of Law in Belgrade, 2005 • Keeper of the French Constitution, pub. Official Gazette, Belgrade, 2006, 162 pp. • Europeanisation of Serbia, Capacities of the government bodies and local (self)government bodies, Monitoring of the process of Europeanisation of the social, economic, political and legal space in Serbia, (co-author), pub. Open Society Foundation Serbia, Belgrade, 2006, 142 pp. • On termination of MP’s term of office – with special focus on stripping of term of office due to termination of membership in a political party/coalition, contribution to project “Development of the Serbian legal system and harmonisation with the EU acquis” of the Faculty of Law in Belgrade, 2007 • Value jurisprudence in contemporary constitutional review: A challenge before Serbia, VII World Congress of the International Association for Constitutional Law, paper in English, accepted for debate in Workshop 15: Balancing and proportionality in constitutional review, Athens, June 2007 • Historical background to the American controversy over originalist approach to constitutional interpretation – lesson to be learned from, contribution to project “Development of the Serbian legal system and harmonisation with the EU acquis” of the Faculty of Law in Belgrade, 2008 • American Federalism and the EU Institutional Design Revisited, contribution to project “Development of the Serbian legal system and harmonisation with the EU acquis” of the Faculty of Law in Belgrade, 2013 • Constitution and Civil Rights, co-author, textbook for 3rd grade of vocational high-schools and 4th grade of grammar schools, pub. Institute for Textbooks and Teaching Aids, 1st edition, Belgrade 2006, 170 pp., up to improved and expanded IV edition, Belgrade 2013, 190 pp. • Originalism, American contribution to the theory of constitutional interpretation, doctoral thesis, in progress.